Did you know that button batteries (Lithium-ion) are one of the most damaging and dangerous things your baby could swallow?
Why are button batteries dangerous?
If ever ingested, these small disc-shaped batteries react with the saliva/gastric fluids and cause an electro-chemical reaction. This causes deep and extremely fast corrosion burns into the soft human tissue.
Let’s say it simply, even if the battery is removed within hours, your baby may never breathe independently again and may remain without a voice.
Where are button batteries found?
The worst is that these batteries are found in many household objects and toys and they are easy for children to swallow or insert in their ear/nose:
- Musical greeting cards
- Remote controls
- Hearing aids
- Digital scales
- Digital thermometers
- Children’s toys
- Light up buttons
- Flashing jewelry and shoes
This really happened
Little boy Emmett accidentally swallowed a coin lithium battery found in a remote control. Watch his story below.
How can you keep your child safe?
Protect your child by following the below tips:
- Search your home and any place your child goes for gadgets that may contain button batteries.
- Secure the battery devices out of sight and reach of children, if the battery compartment is not secure.
- Make sure spare batteries are locked away and used batteries are disposed of safely.
What should you do if your child swallowed button batteries?
If you suspect your child swallowed button batteries, do the following:
- Go to the emergency room right away.
- If your child is older than one year, you can give two teaspoons of honey every 10 minutes until you get to the hospital to try to prevent injury.
This less than 3 minutes video explains it all. Take a moment to watch it.
The bottom line
Watch this video for a quick recap.
Did you find this post helpful? Share it with anyone who might benefit from it.